4 Corners


Women's Super League and Women's Championship 2018/19 seasons are underway

09-September-2018 19:44
in General
by Admin

For the first time in England the top tier of women's football- the Women's Super League is full time and professional. The much anticipated league kicked off today.

The WSL Arsenal v Liverpool match gave the league its first ever hat-trick, Arsenal's Vivianne Miedema scored three of the five Arsenal goals in their 5-0 win.

Other WSL results;

Birmingham City v Everton- Charlie Wellings scored the first goal of the new WSL season by netting within the first minute against Everton. The fnal score 1-0.

Brighton v Bristol City- the away side secured all 3 points with a 71st minute strike from Lucy Graham. Final score 0-1.

Chelsea v Manchester City- defending champions Chelsea were held to a goalless draw by Manchester City. Final score 0-0.

Reading v Yeovil- the home side were awarded the first penalty of new WSL season. Laura Bruton slotted home on 59 mins. Final score 4-0.

Arsenal currently sit on top of the league on goal difference.

West Ham were the only WSL side that weren't in action today. Their season kicks off with a game against Reading on 19th September.

Four matches took place today in the Women's Championship. The results were;

Aston Villa v Manchester United- the visitors first competitive game in the 2nd tier of English football ended in a double figures win against a young Villa side. Final score 0-12.

Crystal Palace v Leicester- new signing for teh visitors, Melissa Johnson, opened the scoring on 18 minutes. Team captain Holly Morgan added a second by heading home from a corner on 75 minutes. Final score 0-2.

Millwall v Lewes- the visitors, who are the only club to pay their female players the same as the men, secured all 3 points after scoring goals in the first half. Final score 0-3

Tottenham v London Bees- the home side came from behind late in the day to take all 3 points; with a penalty on 73 minutes and an early contender for goal of the season from Josie Green in the 80th minute. Final score 2-1.